myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics Totally Biased Book and Movie Review: 2996 Victims of 9/11 Tribute Blog

Sunday, August 27, 2006

2996 Victims of 9/11 Tribute Blog

2996 Blog Review

Blog dedicated to creating a fifth anniversary tribute to the victims of 9/11

Other bloggers should GET IN ON THE ACTION AND JOIN

Yes, normally, I would choose a blog to review based on its ability to make me chuckle. Not today, friends and neighbors. With the anniversary of 9/11 fast approaching, I would like to direct the attention of all bloggers to this site, home of the 2996 project, which I clicked on via the Beltway Bastard’s blog.

Head’s up! This is a worthy cause, an honoring of those lost on that horrible day. If you don’t want to take time to read the entire thing (you lazy bastards) then let me cap it down for you. Everyone who has a blog, and signs up, is “assigned” a victim from 9/11 to honor. This means you are asked to make a tribute to that person’s life on your blog site on September 11th, 2006. In the site’s own words...

“2,996 is a tribute to the victims of 9/11.

On September 11, 2006, 2,996 volunteer bloggers
will join together for a tribute to the victims of 9/11.
Each person will pay tribute to a single victim.

We will honor them by remembering their lives,
and not by remembering their murderers.”

I am one of those volunteers, and everyone reading this should be, too. I have been trying to track down info on my guy, and it’s not been easy, but I think it’s worth it, even if I don’t find out anything more about him than what was written on the 2996 page. If the words, “It’s the thought that counts” ever meant anything, this would be a case of it. I think about those people a lot, still, five years later. How ‘bout the rest of you?

On August 19, the dude in charge of all of this noise, D. Challener Roe, said this:

“Now we’ve got 23 days to get the last 996.”

Now I believe they are down to the last ten percent or less. And September 11th is getting close. The sooner you sign up, the more you can find out about your person.

Go. Go now. Sign up. Let’s do this thing.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

That's a surprisingly nice way to pay tribute.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Clickin Mama J said...

I am signing up! This is really awesome. So is your blog by the way. Is it cool if I link to you?

8:54 PM  
Blogger Meowkaat said...

Yes,please do-link away.
Jay, I love your blog, crazy ass funny, girl!
Jessie, I love WhoWeAre... good questions and people are really beginning to open up. Maybe now you should ask, "Who are you going to honor on 9/11 at your blog?" and put a link to 2996. :)
Thanks both of you, for stopping by.
I thought this was an incredibly touching way to honor them. I know that I'll be scrolling through the 2996 blogs on that day, checking out people's tributes. I got assigned someone who wasn't in the media a lot. Could find his picture, but really nothing else. I just kept digging, and viola, found a few things, and hopefully I have enough information now to make a nice tribute. A friend of mine, on the other hand, got a dude who is practically famous because of his job before the tragedy. So it's just a matter of randomness. I get a little ill thinking about people being left on that list. But no way will that happen. No WAY.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Mighty Michele said...

I'm signed up. Thanks for writing about this Kaat, I hadn't seen the link on Beltway's site til after you mentioned it. I pray September 11 will be a more hopeful, healing day these five years later.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Meowkaat said...

Amen, to quote the married fundamantalist baptist who made a pass at me the other day ;)

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics