myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics Totally Biased Book and Movie Review: Superman Returns Movie Review

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Superman Returns Movie Review


Superman Returns
2006
Starring: Brandon Routh, Kate Bosworth, Kevin Spacey
Directed by: Bryan Singer
Rated: PG-13 for some intense action violence.
154 min

Warning- you know I’m going to spoil you, so don’t read it if you don’t wanna know about it. Spoilers start about mid-way.
Let’s talk about heroes. Who was your favorite when you were a kid? There was Wonder Woman for me, with her kick-ass lariat (she could rope the bad guys, how extremely cool is that?) and Belt o’ Truth. Let’s not even mention the invisible plane, or we’re gonna be here all night. Smile and think of all of the members of the Justice League. My brother, who never wanted to be like anyone else, loved the Green Lantern. Batman was pretty cool with his vast wealth and innumerable gadgets. I went through a brief, intense passion for The Bionic Woman, who if not a super hero, exactly, was certainly super, and personally my hero. I’ll tell you a secret. In the bathtub, I used to submerge in the water and drift up and down in the water, so that my hair would wave around me. This was my personal fantasy of being Jaime Somers, in slo-mo, with my hair bouncing in glorious waves upon my shoulders as I ran to fight the bad guys, my faithful Max, the Bionic Dog, at my side.
But now, let’s stop and consider the Real Deal.
Mr. All That.
The Original, The Perfect, the Absolute Super Hero of all superheroes.
The Man.
The Superman.
When I popped Superman Returns into the DVD player, I wasn’t expecting to re-experience the swell of wonder and sweet delight that Christopher Reeves brought out in me when I was a little kid. I thought I’d sit back and watch a fairly good action flick, and read the new Stephen King book at the same time.
I am as shocked as you when I report that I actually set “Lisey’s Story” aside.
(Of course I stayed up the rest of the night to finish the book, but the point is that I chose to watch the movie over the book… the new, never-yet-read Stephen King book, ya’all.)
The action was fairly good. What was better was that already-mentioned feeling. I couldn’t help it, I was a prisoner to my emotions…when the cascading theme music filled my ears, when Superman busts a move and stops a plane (carrying his beloved Lois) from fiery destruction in the first real action scene, my heart felt like it was going to bust.
Singer is totally faithful to the Superman legend. He was obviously one of the kids who loved the red-caped butt kicker and brings him to life again in this movie, reminding us of Superman’s’ unshakeable confidence and do-good attitude, his gentle, unassuming Clark Kent, and the horrors of kryptonite, keeping it real by slight modern twists to the storyline.
Here’s the story, Morning Glory.
Superman has been gone for five long and lonely years. It seems that scientists believed they had found his home planet, Krypton, and he had an inescapable need to go look-see for hisself. Five years in vain, apparently, and we are not bored with long stories of his un-discovery. It was a ruin, period, end of the talk of Krypton. Whew says me, who hates unnecessary dialogue about things not pertinent to the point of the movie.
Here we get to consider Superman’s human, little-bit-screwed-up side. Lex Luther has been paroled from his million year prison term because Superman was not there to testify in his case. DOH! Lois, deserted by the super bastard, has hooked up with this damned likeable pilot, who treats her the way a man should treat a woman. Oops. She has also won a Pulitzer for her “Why the World Doesn’t Need Superman.” Ouch. The biggest shocker is that she’s now a mama, and her adorable, asthmatic son is the real love of her life nowadays. Gasp.
Luther is, of course, up to no good, and this time, he just might succeed. Lois must be turned from her anti-Superman ways and the world must be saved and can he do it, we ask, even though he’s Superman??? With chaos exploding around him, our caped crusader is put to the test. And with the faith of the young, we watch with a tingle of anticipation, knowing that yes, he will succeed, and we will be there to watch it, and isn't this just like the olden days?
Yeah, it kinda is. I'm a sucker for nostalgia, and this case is no different.
There’s a twist to the plot that I’m choosing not to divulge, but it’s fairly obvious and you’ll see it coming a mile off. I felt it added spice to the storyline and promises future Superman Movies to come.
I, for one, look forward to them.

I give it 4 &’s
&… it was a trip down nostalgia lane, in a good way
&… the special effects were … well, super.
&… Superman is the man I remember him to be
&… Spacey as Luther is hilarious

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Me said...

I actually went to the cinema to watch this and it was just amazing. Was so pleased. I don't go to the cinema often, in fact I've only seen about 3 at the movies in the past 6 years. But Superman was well worth it.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Josh L. said...

I stumbled over here and I like some of your reviews, I'm gonna link to you, hoping you'll do the same... later

9:37 AM  
Blogger Meowkaat said...

Orhan, yeah I know, wasn't it great?? :)
Josh, welcome to my Biased Blog :) Consider yourself linked ;)

10:30 PM  
Blogger Josh L. said...

much obliged... you can delete this comment :)

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics