myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics Totally Biased Book and Movie Review: Review of Looking at Possible (as in Really Soon) Unemployment

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Review of Looking at Possible (as in Really Soon) Unemployment


The second post in a row that has nothing to do with any kind of entertainment. The second post in a row about the lameness of my incredibly lame and getting lamer life. I will tell you honestly, faithful readers, I haven’t been reading, or watching so much. I’ve been stewing and brewing ideas in my strange little brain. Facing unemployment will do that to a person, I’ve found. So here’s another “personal” post and I’m pretty sure it will be the last one …for at least a few days. Hehehe.

But first. Am I the only one who hasn’t made the switch to blogger beta? Am I so lame? Have I fallen hopelessly behind the times and the chances of me ever catching up are miniscule at best?

Uh huh… I thought so.

Blogger Rightnow can bite my ass… every time I’ve gone to post, there has been some sort of problem. I read that a technician or someone like that has apparently been “notified”, but do I ever hear from a technician? HELL NO. Does anyone ever explain to me what’s going on? I don’t THINK so.

Anyway, I’m pretty afraid of switching to the New and Improved Blogger that has “all the features I’m used to plus new post labels, drag-and-drop template editing, and privacy controls. And, it's a lot more reliable.”

Yeah… well, we’ll just have to see about that.

But I’m going to go ahead and bite the bullet.

Blogger Beta, here I come.

In the meantime, seeing as I’m probably going to be out of a job sooner rather than later… I’m facing the future of unemployment with a great deal less enthusiasm and excitement about the future than I’d anticipated me showing in a situation like this. In other words, I thought that if I was going to lose my job, which was INCONCEIVABLE, let me just tell you, because my employers could not possibly run the business without me, and there's the little fact that I'm a good "Friend" of theirs and I ran the whole kit-n-kaboodle for them for so long that I just knew I would always have "Job Security". ... well I thought I’d be a little excited and really confident.

Turns out, not so much on the excitement or the confidence issue.

Job Security turns out to be much the same as the legendary unicorn or the mythic leprechaun as far as reality is concerned.

Turns out I was correct in the They Can’t Run It department. Problem is, they’re not going to try to, they’re going to sell it instead.

There’s a lot more to the long and incredibly tedious story, none of it showing me or my employers in a very favorable light, so I’ll just skip to the end. It ends like this….

No Job.

Recent rumors are swirling that there has been an offer made on the business, but I haven’t yet been informed of this (possibly) important development. Now, one would have to ask why…. Why wouldn’t I be told, seeing as it’s my life that’s going to be pretty screwed by the whole thing?

Several theories abound.

But none of that matters. What does matter is that dragging out my dusty-ass resume has given me a knife-like pain in my head, right above the left eye. I’m thinking that this resume is pretty ancient, and should have been put out of its misery a long time ago. I’m thinking that I really have no clue how to write a resume any more.

Do people still list it like this:

Name

Objective

Experience

Skills

… nadda yada nadda, and so on and so forth?

Do you still come up with a delightful “Cover Letter” that goes all squishy on how much you love the possible employer and job idea and how you salivate at the thought of them hiring you? Something like… Hire me because I am a kick-ass person and I will make you so happy and I have lots and lots of transferable job skills and you will never, to your dying day, regret it… that sort of stuff? Eek… it’s been so long since I’ve written that kind of letter!

What I really wonder is how many people have found themselves in this rather unenviable position …of looking at an old, dusty-ass resume and then glancing at the want ads and then back at the resume and then at the wantads and saying, really softly, but with enough emphasis to get the point across… “oh shit.”?

You think that’s the norm?

If it is, then I’m still in with the in crowd after all.

6 Comments:

Blogger Scott Stambler said...

everything you are feeling are feelings i have had for as long as i can remember. in my business i get laid off every few months. only to wait for another job to come along. there is no soild ground to stand on and - last year - i went almost a year without working. that was the toughest time i have had in many years.

so to tell you i empathize is real. to feel a lack of confidence kinda comes with the territory. to explore how you feel about the universe is also a given. i have survived each time. although this last year i was truly shaken to the core.

and you get the holidays on top of it.

may you be blessed with a new job or opportunity that only appears because of this.

best

P

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could hire you to come over and drink coffee with me in the mornings and make me laugh. If I ever win the lottery, ok?

10:01 PM  
Blogger Meowkaat said...

Portney, I bet you have ulcers, dude. But thanks for understanding how much it SUCKS!
I could be a coffee dirnker. you don't need a degree in that do you? because I have lots of experience, just not official, school-like coffee degrees.
Iso- Yes indeed. It's a LONG story, but one I will be happy to vent all over your ears. Lots of tension here. Lots.

8:23 AM  
Blogger SecondComingOfBast said...

Don't go ovr to Blogger Beta on your own. Wait until they move you over yourself. By that time hopefully they'll have the bugs worked out. They're moving everybody over to it eventually, they are just wanting as many people as possible to do it on their own to sav them the time and trouble. You do so at your own risk.

Good luck finding that new job. Maybe you can keep your old one with the people that are buying them out. Worth a shot. After all, you are there, you pretty much know how everything runs. You might even be able to get a better position with the new owners.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Meowkaat said...

Too late! I've made the switch.... no problems so far, but the day is young.
I have some ideas brewing about employment, and I will of course review them in depth when they reach the planning-not-dreaming stage.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Good luck with whatever changed come your way!

3:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics